Jackfruit makes an amazing vegan substitute for pulled pork and once you slather it in BBQ sauce and top your slider with some pineapple coleslaw, no one will know any different.
If you are short on time, there is an amazing product that you can purchase at Whole Foods and Jimbo’s Naturally (if you live in San Diego) instead; it’s called Mindful “Chik’n” from Sweet Earth. If you end up using this product instead of jackfruit, all you need to do is warm up the “chicken” in a pan and add some spicy barbeque and a little bit of water.
Ingredients for BBQ Jackfruit:
- 2 20-ounce cans of young green jackfruit in water (favorite brand Native Forest)
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- ¼ to ½ cup water
- 1 Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Instructions for preparing the BBQ Jackfruit:
- Drain and rinse the cans of jackfruit and place on a kitchen towel. Pat the jackfruit until it is dry.
- Transfer the jackfruit to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices together
- Add the spices to the jackfruit and combine until the pieces of jackfruit are well coated with the spices.
- Heat the avocado oil over medium heat in a large fry pan and add the seasoned jackfruit. Cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the 1 cup of BBQ sauce to the pan; adding a little bit of water at a time to help with the cooking process without burning the sauce.
- Cover and continue to cook for approximately 30 minutes; adding more water as necessary. Alternatively, you could transfer the mixture to a slow cooker and cook for an hour to an hour and a half.
- Once the jackfruit and sauce have cooked down, I like to use a fork to break apart the pieces of jackfruit so that it pulls apart like pork or chicken.
Instructions for assembling the jackfruit sliders:
Using small hamburger buns of your choice, pile the bottom of the bun with 1/3 cup of BBQ jackfruit and top with ¼ cup of coleslaw with pineapple. Top with a Bread & Butter Pickle slice. Your guests will gobble these up; so delicious!