This recipe is a spicy and sweet alternative to a boring traditional baked bean dish. When I serve these for my guests, they go crazy over them. The ginger, spicy barbeque sauce and balsamic vinegar give this dish a unique and spicy/sweet kick to it that everyone enjoys. I love using black and white beans to make the dish stand out differently than a traditional baked bean recipe. Trust me..this is a keeper and will be a favorite when you put on a summer BBQ spread.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Cans Organic Black Beans; drained
- 2 Cans Organic Great Northern White Beans; drained
- 2/3 Cup Spicy BBQ sauce
- 1/3 Cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium/high heat. Sautee onions, garlic and ginger until soft. Add balsamic vinegar and cooked beans and stir until combined.
- Allow beams to simmer for a few minutes on low while you whisk together the BBQ sauce, maple syrup, molasses, mustard and salt and pepper.
- Remove beans from heat and stir in the sauce.
- Mix well and pour into a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees uncovered for 1 hour. Serve hot
These beans have so much flavor and are so delicious! Say good-bye to boring baked beans!