This is a brunch favorite in our house! I like to make a big batch so that there are left overs; it re-heats nicely for a few days! You can serve this with tortillas for a make-your-own breakfast burrito or with the biscuits for a delicious vegan breakfast sandwich!
Basic Scrambled “egg” recipe
- 2 packages of tofu. Drained and wrapped in a kitchen towel to get rid of excess water.
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ Cup onion or 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat with the onion and garlic. If you are using any of the other veggies (suggested add-ins below), sauté them with the onion and garlic until soft but not brown.. I like to use bell peppers, broccoli and spinach. I personally love mushrooms in this but my kids are not a fan, so I typically leave them out.
Add the tofu and crumble with a potato masher. Or crumble it into the pan with your hands. Cook for 5 minutes. Make a paste with the non-dairy milk, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric and cumin and then add to the tofu and veggie mixtures and continue to sauté. Add the salt, pepper to taste and nutritional yeast and cook for another 5 minutes. If you think it needs a little more saltiness, you can add a little gluten free soy sauce or tamari.
Add ins to make it fancier:
- 1 bunch of broccoli; chopped
- 2 red peppers; chopped
- 1 Cup cremini or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 cups of spinach chopped
- 1 cups of green peas or corn (fresh is possible – frozen organic is fine too)
- Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or gluten free soy sauce to add a little more saltiness.
For an added touch, sprinkle with some chopped Tamari-Roasted almonds (you can make your own or buy them at the store)
I like to serve this with a side of grain free tortillas, shredded vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, sliced avocado or guacamole & hot sauce!!