The key to this delicious pie is making your own almond ricotta! Check out my recipe for almond ricotta before making this dish. If you are short on time, Kitehill makes a good almond ricotta that you can buy at most grocery stores.
This pie goes well with a salad and makes for a nice light dinner or lunch, perfect for brunch and can be served as a dip with chips or crackers. My family loves this dish and is a vegan take on an old Italian classic my mother used to make when I was a kid.
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach
- 2 cups of almond ricotta
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella (Favorite brand is Violife)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- 2 vegan eggs (Bob’s Red Mill or flax eggs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup vegan parmesan (Favorite brand is Follow Your Heart)
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze out any excess water or juice.
- Add the spinach and the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Mash the butter and the parmesan together and spread on the bottom of a lightly oiled pie plate.
- Add the spinach mixture to the pie plate and bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.