Although this pasta dish is relatively easy and quick to pull together, it has an impressive taste and one that appeals to a variety of palettes. The simplicity of this dish makes it an easy entrée for entertaining larger groups and parties as well. In-spite of the ease in making this dish, the robust flavor of the pesto and the balsamic flavor in the roasted vegetables, makes this pasta flavorful and interesting. This pasta is especially good in the summer if you are growing your own zucchini and summer squash and need a recipe to use them up.
- 1 Pound Fusilli Pasta (I like gluten free – brown rice. Jovial and Tinkyada are my favorite brands)
- 1 Red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 Yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 small summer squash, ends trimmed, cut into ½ inch thick strips.
- 2 small zucchini, ends trimmed, cut into ½ inch thick strips.
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh or 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley chopped.
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar.
- 1-1/2 Cups of Pesto (recipe below) – depending on how you like your pasta.
Toppings for the pasta:
- ½ Cup toasted pine nuts
- Vegan Parmesan or Vegan Feta Cheese
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the veggies on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or until tender, stirring several times.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Add parsley and vinegar and toss until mixed.
- Boil the pasta and transfer to a big, shallow bowl.
- Mix the pasta with the pesto until well blended into the pasta. If you are short on time, you can usually find a good quality store bought vegan pesto. If you are local to San Diego, Jimbo’s Naturally Grocery Store makes a vegan pesto and it is in their refrigerated deli section. It is very good! In a pinch..Trader Joe’s has a good vegan pesto as well.
Pour the roasted veggies and any juice from the pan into the pasta and gently mix. Top with chopped basil and vegan parmesan (optional). This pasta dish is delish!!
In a food processor, blend
- 1 large bunch of basil
- ½ cup of pine nuts
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup best quality olive oil (I LOVE Jovial brand)
- Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground pepper