I usually make a big batch of this because it lasts in the refrigerator for several days and is so delicious topped on any green salad, with some crackers or in a sandwich. This is something I make on a weekly basis and doesn’t last long! You can cut this in half if you want a smaller quantity but you won’t be sorry if you have some sitting in your refrigerator! Warning!!! This is addictive!!
- 2 cans chickpeas (I prefer the Jovial chickpeas if you can find them – they come in glass jars and are soaked overnight and pressure cooked; making them easier to digest!)
- 2 stalks of celery finely diced
- 1 large carrot shredded
- ½ cup of minced dill
- ½ cup of chopped Italian parsley
- 2 dill pickles finely chopped (or 1 large one)
- 2 green onions (just the white part) finely chopped (I personally do not like raw onions of any kind so I leave this out of mine – but if you are not averse to raw onion, it does give it a little more interesting flavor)
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Lemon juiced
- ½ Cup vegan mayonnaise (I like follow your heart)
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- In a medium sized bowl, put the chickpeas, celery, carrot, dill, parsley, dill pickles, green onion, salt & pepper and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine and whip the mayo, mustard and lemon juice and then add into the chickpea mixture.
- You can either mash this up a bit with a potato masher or you can put the mixture into a food processor and pulse to mash up into a more-dense texture. I like it either way but if you are going to east it in a sandwich, I think it stays together better if you put the salad in the food processor.