I love serving this vegan poke and wowing my guests by replacing fish with watermelon. It is so deliciously unexpected and makes for a beautiful presentation without fish. I personally like to serve my poke bowl with rice but you could also replace the rice with greens or cauliflower rice for a low carb (and food combining friendly) option. I try not to combine grain and fruit because it is better for your digestion to do so; but I occasionally make an exception and eating this poke is one of those times! You could also replace the watermelon with tofu (see my marinated tofu recipe in the “Wings of Salad” recipe)..but personally, I prefer the watermelon. This recipe makes 4 bowls.
Poke Bowl Base:
- 2 Cups of white or brown rice cooked according to the package. I personally like white jasmine rice for this recipe; or
- 2 cups of mixed greens; or
- 2 Cups cauliflower rice
- 4 Cups watermelon in bite sized cubes
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 2 avocados thinly sliced
- 1 cup of organic corn (if using frozen – thawed. If using fresh, cook until tender)
- 1 Cup cooked and shelled edamame
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup microgreens
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey or agave
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chili sauce (optional for a little heat! Or Sriracha)
Toasted Nori Topping:
- 2 nori sheets
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
Make the Nori topping by placing all ingredients in a food processor until the consistency of coarse salt. It should be pretty fine and well blended.
Divide the rice or whatever you are using for your base into 4 bowls.
Prepare your dressing by whisking all ingredients together until well blended. Taste and adjust accordingly. Depending on your palate, you might want it more sweet, more vinegar or more spice..so adjust if needed.
In a large mixing bowl, add the watermelon, cucumber, corn, edamame and carrot and toss with the dressing and divide between the four bowls. Pour the dressing over the base as well but leave some to serve on the side in case your guests want a little extra dressing.
Top your bowls with sliced avocado, pickled ginger, macadamia nuts, green onion and microgreens. Top with the Nori sprinkle.
Add more dressing to your bowl if needed.