Lion’s mane mushrooms make an amazing substitute for crab and lobster. When combined with spices & seasoning from this recipe, the texture of these mushrooms make for a very similar vegan version of a traditional crab cake. It’s worth noting that although these mushrooms look a bit strange and might resemble a brain, there are many health benefits associated with eating Lion’s mane mushroom. Studies have shown that Lion’s Mane helps boost mental functioning and brain health, relieves depression & anxiety, fights cancer, reduces inflammation and boosts the immune system. You can serve a beautiful platter of vegan crab cakes to your guests knowing that these not only taste amazing, you’ve served them a superfood ingredient with some incredible health benefits.
1 Pound of Lion’s Mane Mushroom
2 Egg Replacement (either Bob’s Red Mills Egg Replacer or you can make flax egg using 2 Tbsp. ground flax and 4 Tbsp. of warm water)
1 Cup Panko bread crumbs
½ cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
Olive oil or avocado oil for cooking
Quick Tartar Sauce
1 Cup of vegan mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons pickle relish
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
Optional Toppings: Capers and fresh chopped dill
1. Shred the Lion’s Mane mushrooms into small pieces with your hands…pulling the mushroom apart and place in a large mixing bowl. The shredded mushroom will look like flakes of crab meat.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, old bay seasoning, parsley, salt, onion and egg replacer until well blended.
3. Combine the mayonnaise mixture to the shredded mushroom until well blended together.
4. Add the panko bread crumbs and mix until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
5. Form the mixture into 6 patties that are about ¾ of an inch thick.
6. Heat oil in a fry pan (medium/high heat) and cook the patties for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
7. Serve immediately
8. I like to drizzle with tartar sauce and sprinkle with capers for a pretty presentation.
9. Serve with extra tartar sauce and lemon wedges.