This tomato basil soup is one of my favorites to make during the fall when you start to crave hot soup and tomatoes are still at their peak of perfection. I typically serve this soup with vegan grilled cheese because who doesn’t love to dip some cheesy bread into a hot bowl of creamy tomato soup. It’s the perfect combination and a favorite dinner with all my kids; it appeals to pallets of all ages and will be a favorite in your house too! I like to top the soup with homemade croutons, vegan feta or mozzarella and chopped fresh basil.
In terms of preparation, I personally like to take the skin off the tomatoes and de-seed because I think the soup tastes sweeter without seeds and I like the texture of the soup better without the skin. However, this step adds a little more prep to an otherwise quick recipe and is totally optional! If you are going to take the skin off and de-seed your tomatoes, boil a large pot of water and drop the tomatoes in for about 1 minute to loosen the skin. Take the tomatoes out and let cool for a minute and the skin should be easy to peel off. Then cut the tomatoes into quarters and gently poke the seeds out and discard with the skin.
- 2 ½ pounds of Roma tomatoes or whatever tomatoes look best depending on time of year.
- 1 large yellow or white onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups of vegetable broth (favorite brand Imagine No-Chicken Broth)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (favorite brand Edwards & Sons No-Chicken)
Bread cubes (I just slice some gluten free sour dough bread and toast in the oven and then chop into cubes), plant based creamer or milk, vegan feta (I like Violife), vegan mozzarella (I like Miyoko’s), and fresh basil.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and sauté the onions, carrots and garlic until soft. About 10 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and the basil to the pot and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and the bouillon cube and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes
- Transfer the soup to a food processor and blend until smooth and then transfer back to the pot.
- Serve hot and top with any of the suggested toppings.
- I like to serve my tomato soup with vegan grilled cheese: sliced gluten free bread, buttered with Miyoko’s vegan butter and Violife sliced cheddar cheese in the middle!