I don’t usually make my own pie crust – I buy either a gluten free nut crust or a gluten free regular pie crust. If you don’t care about gluten free, there are many frozen pie crusts available in the freezer section of most grocery stores. Just make sure they are vegan.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of coconut cream (I like Thai Kitchen) or whatever heavy coconut cream you can find.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth and creamy
- Pour the pie filling into your pie crust of choice
- Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour. Depending on your crust, you may need to add a little tin foil around the edges for the last 20 minutes or so if you notice your crust is baking faster than the pie filling.
- Let the pie cool for an hour on the counter before putting it in the refrigerator. I suggest making this pie a day before and letting it chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve with vegan whipped cream
If you are local to San Diego, you have some vegan pumpkin pie hacks if you don’t want to make your own pie. Jimbo’s naturally has an outstanding vegan pumpkin pie with a gluten free crust. Seaside Market in Cardiff-by- the Sea also has a very good store bought option.