- 1/3 cup vegan butter (I like Miyoko’s)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 16 ounces’ mushrooms, thinly sliced. I like Cremini mushrooms but you can use any variety.
- 6 Tbsp. gluten free flour (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 4 Cups vegetable broth (I like Imagine Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (I like Edward & Son’s No Chikn)
- 1 tsp. thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the butter over medium heat and cook the onions until soft and slightly golden/brown.
- Add the mushrooms into the cooked onions and cook until soft (5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the mushroom and onions. Once well coated, add the broth, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the gravy gets to the thickness you desire.
Here is my hack when I don’t have time to make gravy. Sometimes at the end of preparing all this food, gravy is the last thing I want to deal with. It is honestly my least favorite thing to make yet, it is one of the most important toppings for stuffing, mashed potatoes and the lentil loaf. However, this is where you can cut a few corners if you are short on time. If you live in the San Diego area, Jimbo’s Naturally Grocery store has THE BEST vegan mushroom gravy. They make it in their kitchen and only have it during the holidays so during off-season times, I use a store-bought brand that you can easily find if you don’t live in San Diego. There are two really good brands that make for a good alternative if you are in a pinch. The Imagine brand gravy (same brand I use for the No Chicken Broth) comes in a little box and is a very good alternative to making your own. I recently found the Primal Kitchen Mushroom Gravy which is made with cashew butter and it is the BOMB. My hack with either of these two options is that I spruce it up a bit so it seems like homemade gravy. I Sauté 8 ounces of shiitake and cremini mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of vegan butter and cook until soft and juice from the mushrooms is released. I add a little sea salt, pepper and fresh thyme and then add 3 boxes of Imagine Vegan Mushroom Gravy or 3 jars of the Primal Kitchen Mushroom Gravy. Honestly, no one will notice you didn’t make it from scratch. It will be our little secret.