Stuffing is the best part of Thanksgiving & this vegan version is every bit as flavorful as the classic stuffing! The absolute key to making the best stuffing is making your own bread cubes. Do not buy pre-made bread cubes or stuffing mix. I will give you other hacks and ways to cut corners but this is not one of them. Making your own is the key here.
- 2 loaves of French bread – cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 ½ cups diced celery
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. vegan butter – I like Earth’s Balance
- 8 cups of vegetable stock (you can use less depending on how moist you like your stuffing. I like mine moist with a crispy top) You can make your own vegetable broth – but I use 2 cartons of the Imagine Brand Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth.
- 2 vegetable Bouillon cubes – I like the Edward & Sons “Not Chick’n” cubes.
Optional addition: 4 Beyond Meat Italian sausage – pulled out of the casing and sautéed. I smash them up into little pieces with a wooden spoon as I sauté. My dad used to add Italian sausage to our stuffing (pork sausage of course) and it made the stuffing super tasty. I try to cook without using too much processed foods or fake meat – but I must say that my kids really enjoy having the sausage in the stuffing and it adds a little something special. And I think in moderation and on special occasions, using products like Beyond Meat and Impossible Meat is ok.
- Bake the bread cubes on a cookie tin at 350 degrees until toasted and hard cubes. Again..this is the key to the best stuffing!! Do not buy pre-made bread cubes!!
- Sauté onions, celery, mushrooms and parsley in olive oil and vegan butter. Cook until very soft and golden. Warm the vegetable stock in a pan and dissolve the bouillon cubes. In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes and the sautéed onion mixture until well mixed. Slowly add the warmed broth to the bowl, allowing for the liquid to absorb into the bread cubes. Continue to add broth a little at a time to evenly soak the cubes. If you are adding the vegan Italian sausage, mix that in at the end.
- Line a casserole dish with parchment paper and then pour the stuffing into the dish. You totally can make this one day ahead.
- When you are ready to bake it, put little pieces of vegan butter sprinkled over the top of the stuffing and then bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour until hot and the top is a little crispy.