I’m not sure which is more impressive; the fact that this recipe tastes so good or the fact that it is SO easy and quick to make. If I am in a hurry, this is my go-to dinner because everyone loves it and the sauce can be made quickly while you boil the water for the pasta. For the lentils in the recipe, I use the vacuumed packed lentils in a box. You can find these in the refrigerated-produce section of the grocery store. Trader Joe’s has them in their produce section. I personally like Melissa’s brand better because she has an organic option – but if your local grocery store doesn’t carry Melissa’s then Trader Joe’s is a great option.
- 2 packages of lentils
- 1 jar of capers, drained
- 8 sun dried tomatoes in oil – patted dry and chopped.
- 1 can of artichoke hearts in water – drained and chopped
- 1 box of either spaghetti or capellini. I like the Jovial brand – it’s made from brown rice & is gluten free.
- 1 ½ to 2 jars of Rao’s Homemade Arrabbiata sauce (alternatively…you can use marina…I just like the kick of the Arrabbiata) I love Rao’s the best but you can use another brand or certainly could make your own.
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan butter – I like Earth’s Balance or Miyoko’s
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- Vegan Parmesan
- Chopped basil
Take the lentils out of the package, (they are usually clumped together if you get the vacuumed packed/boxed lentils in the produce section) place in a sauce pan and break them up with a wooden spoon. Add the jar of Rao’s – you might need some extra sauce depending on how “saucy” you like it. I usually get the large jar or if they don’t have the big one, I get 2 regular and end up using ½ of the second one. Add the chopped sun dried tomatoes, capers and artichoke hearts to the sauce. Mix it up and heat until warm. It doesn’t need to boil – just get it nice and warm.
Cook the pasta and then drain. I usually put the pasta back into the pot but if you are serving for a party – you can put it in a shallow pasta bowl. I mix the 2 Tbsp. of butter and the 2 Tbsp. of nutritional yeast in to make it a bit creamy first. Then add the lentil Bolognese sauce and mix well. Top with chopped fresh basil and vegan parmesan.
This literally takes less than 20 minutes to pull together but is one of those dishes that everyone will love and think you slaved over! It’s easy to make this for a large crowd too.