This is a beautiful salad and one of my favorites to make during the fall & winter when persimmons are in season and readily available (and delicious). This salad is a festive touch for the Thanksgiving table and one that everyone will pile onto their plate even though it is one of the healthier options – it has a lot of flavor and pizazz and even kids like this salad.
- 10-ounce container of spring mix green
- Optional: add a cup or two of arugula. I personally love arugula.
- ½ of bulb of fennel; thinly sliced
- 1 ripe persimmon; thinly sliced
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds
- ¾ cup of glazed pecans. (you can buy glazed pecans at most natural food stores or farmer’s markets – just make sure they are vegan. Or you can purchase raw pecans, toss in 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and toast in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes)
- ½ cup of crumbled vegan feta cheese (I like Violife brand – it’s amazing).
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- ½ tsp salt
- Layer large salad bowl with spring greens and arugula and top with fennel, persimmon and pecans. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top and then top with crumbled feta.
- Toss the salad with the dressing; adding a little at a time until you reach your desired amount of dressing.