This is an easy and delicious dinner that you can easily swap ingredients in this recipe and switch it up. I happen to love shitake mushrooms and capers but you could easily replace those ingredients with asparagus, kale, broccoli and peas to name a few. This takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and you cook it in one pot for an easy clean-up. This is a favorite and tastes a lot more impressive than one would think. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 1 package gluten-free spaghetti (favorite brand Jovial foods)
- 1 carton of vegetable broth (favorite brand Imagine No Chicken Broth)
- 1 cup water
- 1 vegetable bouillon (optional) – favorite brand Edward & Sons No Chicken Bouillon
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1 jar capers, drained
- ½ cup vegan butter (favorite brands Miyokos and Monty’s)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan (favorite brand Follow Your Heart)
- Parsley or lemon balm, chopped to top when served
- In a large skillet or saucepan, place the garlic, mushrooms, capers, parsley, bouillon cube (if using), butter, crushed pepper, salt and pepper in the pan.
- Break the spaghetti in half and place it on top
- Pour vegetable broth over the ingredients and slowly simmer over medium heat; stirring often as the liquid absorbs to prevent sticking.
- About halfway through the cooking process, add the lemon juice to the pasta.
- As needed, add some of the 1 cup of water to the pan along the cooking process.
- Once the liquid is fully absorbed and pasta is cooked, stir in the grated vegan parmesan.
- Serve immediately topped with some fresh parsley or some lemon balm if you can find it. The lemon balm really adds a nice touch if you can find it. If you live in the San Diego area, Chino Farms sells this fragrant and tasty herb!